– The importance of the resurrection to justification can be summed up thus: ‘he was raised for our justification.’ Ergo, no resurrection, no justification.
– Justification = the vindication of the crucified son, in which we share as we die, are buried, and raised with him.
– Jesus as representative: what is true of him is true of his people.
– Hence, after we are dead, buried and raised with him, we share in his vindication and new life.
– We thus become (embody) the righteousness of God
– We are justified ‘in Christ’ – we share ‘in his’ vindication so that ‘in him’ we can embody the righteousness/faithfulness of God revealed in Christ and the Gospel